in Alexandria, Virginia
Why Repairing Your Roof?
No roof is immune to weather damage. Wind, rain, snow, and ice can damage it. You may be tempted to put off roof repairs, but remember why it's so important.
It's possible to get water damage from a damaged roof. This can lead to mildew, mold, and structural damage. Home insurance claims for water damage are the most common!
When Do You Need to Repair Your Roof?
You may not see any significant damage on your roof, but that does not mean you do not need a roof repair. To ensure that your roof is in good condition, experts recommend that you inspect the roof regularly.
Make sure you keep an eye out for the following signs to determine if you need to repair your roof:
- Symptoms of water damage like stains or mold
- Broken, curled, or missing shingles
- Roofing components with rust
- The roof is covered with moss or algae
Benefits From Roof Repair
A damaged or leaking roof is often overlooked until it is too late and too expensive to repair. As roofs are exposed to the elements, they require constant maintenance and repairs to ensure their longevity. It doesn't matter how small the leak is; it can cause major problems.
Here are some benefits of roof repair:
- Makes your roof last longer
- Improves the efficiency of roofs
- Ensures the validity of the warranty
- Make sure that your employees and family are protected
Your Trustable Roofing Repair Contractor
Repairing your roof regularly will reduce the need for costly repairs in the future. It prevents damage both inside and outside the roof. Untrained eyes can't see all issues, so roofing professionals are necessary. To avoid damage to your roof, you should inspect it at least once a month.
Repairs should be made as soon as possible if they are necessary. At Golden Tree Roofing, we can assist with all your roofing needs.
How to repair roof leak?
Often, the best temporary fix for roof leaks caused by holes is to purchase galvanized sheet metal flashing, which can be purchased almost anywhere that offers home improvement supplies.
It is recommended that with one hand that you lift the damaged shingle, and with the other hand that you put the sheet metal flashing over the hole. In order to push the flashing up all the way under the course of shingles above the leak, you may need to pry up one or more roofing nails in the row above. This will allow water to flow over the metal.
How much does roof repair cost?
In order for a house's integrity to be protected from harsh weather conditions as well as animal invasions, it is imperative that its roof be well-maintained. The cost of a roof repair varies depending on the type of repair and can range anywhere from $150 to $400 and as high as $7000 for major repairs. On average, a roof will cost approximately $950 to repair in the United States currently. There is also the possibility that roof repair prices may vary depending on factors such as the type of roofing material, the cost of labor, and the size of your roof.
How to repair roof shingles?
You should know the location of the roof damage before you start. During a storm, shingles often come off in succession. This is called a series of shingles, and they must be removed or replaced. In order to repair roof shingles, you will need pry bars, hammers, ladders, knives, and matching shingles. If some of the shingles remain on the roof, but are broken, you can remove the broken shingles by prying off the nails. When you come across a damaged shingle, slide your knife under it to help break the adhesive. Once you have broken the adhesive, use the pry bar to remove it. Before you install the new shingle, be sure to remove all the old nails so as not to damage the material. In order to slide the new shingle under the tab of the one above it, you have to overlap the two. There is sometimes difficulty doing this without also removing the nails on the other shingle. If any holes remain untouched, fill them with roofing cement to prevent water from seeping in and further damaging your roof. Before hammering in new nails, apply adhesive or roofing cement to hold it in place.
How to repair metal roof?
- First, clean the area: The area to be patched should be cleaned of dirt. Use a flexible putty knife to carefully remove any flaking or loose roof coating.
- Put Butyl Tape on: Patch the area by wrapping one- or two-inch wide strips of butyl tape around its perimeter.
- Cutting & Covering: Patch the hole with a piece of galvanized metal that overlaps all sides by two or three inches. Apply butyl tape on top.
- Insert Screws: In both the patch and the roof, pre-drill holes in the galvanized metal. Screw through the new patch, butyl tape, and existing roof metal using metal screws. Avoid screws in roof trusses. Ensure the patch is flush with the surface. Install the screws every two inches. Put a screw every inch if it's not tight.
- Seal: Using caulk, seal the patch edges and screw heads. After the caulk dries, apply a roof coating.